Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Luck of the Irish

Every holiday I like to sit down with my children and make a hands on craft for that special occasion.

When I think of St. Patrick's day the first thing that popped in my mind was leprechauns with their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :o) Having a 5 1/2 yr old, 4 yr old, and 2 1/2 yr old I thought of a perfect craft that not only helps with their colors but is also fun to do at the same time!


Materials Needed For this craft :

  • Colored Stickers of Some sort (I used foam shapes that were stickers)
  • Cardstock (White)
  • Crayons
  • Pencil
  • Rainbow Outline
  • Scissors
  • Garbage Bowl (optional) We use it for the backs of the stickers and paper scraps.
The first thing you will want to do is decide how big to make your final product, for me I just cut the cardstock in half length ways. This worked perfect for my family, cut 2 pieces in half and I had enough for myself and each of my three kiddos :o)

Then you will want to take your rainbow outline and trace it onto your cardstock. I did this by holding my outline to a window and my cardstock over top so I could see the outline to trace onto my cardstock.

After this I took my crayons (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple) and just drew a line down the white center of my cardstock. I did this to show my children where each colored stick should go.

After I did that to all four of the rainbows, I then dumped a few handfuls of my foam shape stickers onto the table and told me kids to go to town :o)




I told them they could do them any way they wanted, granted my son who is the youngest took that as he could just stick stickers anywhere. Totally ok with me, at least he knows the colors, who said he needs to put them where they should go :o)

Continue to fill your rainbow with stickers. When you are finished grab some crayons and finish the scene by adding some grass and your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. My oldest and I decided to add some suns, clouds, and flowers too! She also decided that since pink is her favorite color it needed to be in the rainbow too! 





I hope you and your children enjoy this St. Patrick's Day craft as much as my children and I did! 








No comments:

Post a Comment