Monday, April 8, 2013

Cherry Tomatoes anyone...??

I thought that I would post something a little different then my normal blog entry. Instead of sharing a fun craft to do with your kids I thought I would share one of my little kitchen tricks or tip, what ever you would prefer to call it.

My middle child, Abigayle (4 yrs) loves Cherry Tomatoes! Like LOVES them! She also loves to have them sliced for salads or tacos. Have you ever tried to slice a small tomato ? Seeds and juice squirts out all over the place! So here is my little tip on how to slice a small tomato such as a Cherry or a Grape tomato without making a huge mess and squeezing out the guts to the tomato.

First gather your materials :
- Tomatoes
- 2 Bowl Lids (need to be the same lid and have an edge/rim to them) *see picture
- Knife, I would suggest a larger knife then I used, but I have bad luck with knives so I like to use the same small one for everything I slice :o)
- Bowl or dish to place the nicely sliced tomatoes in.


First you start by placing a handful (or two) of tomatoes in the groove on the top of one of the lids.


 Then you will take and place the other lid on top of the tomatoes, tops of the lids need to be pointing towards each other. Now bare with me on the picture of me slicing the tomatoes. My 5 1/2 yr old was taking the picture and this was the best of 4 attempts :o) After you have your lids and tomatoes ready begin to slowly slice/work your knife though the center of the lids. Continue until you have sliced through to the other side.


And there you have it! Perfectly sliced tomatoes! Perfect for salads, tacos, nachos, etc.





No comments:

Post a Comment